Welcome to Elakand

Welcome to Elakand. There is my life where I pay bills, check e-mail, visit with friends, read, watch movies, and snuggle my cat. Then there is the life of my life where I have adventures in the medieval kingdom of Elakand with my troubadour, Sir Loriano of Vayne, and his whitewood kitarra.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Life and lessons...

Just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I'm inactive. I've been dealing with taxes, loss of our beloved Blackitty, repairs to the house, and a full e-mail Inbox demanding attention. I wrote a guest blog on Persistence that turned into a nostalgia trip into my past. I also write something on my work in progress (Troubadour's Quest) every day, even if it's only for 10 minutes, and I'm polishing an Ancient World story I wrote many years ago about one of my favorite characters, Karie, the last true High Priestess. I hope to publish that as a stand-alone. Every month I get out the Monterey Bay Fiction Writers newsletter.
~*~
My favorite sweater is falling apart. The design came to me in a meditation during a journal retreat in the early '90s. Using a basic cardigan pattern, I put the design onto graph paper, one square per stitch, and selected the yarns from a lovely knitting shop that has since gone out of business. They had most of the yarns in stock but the basic color, an aqua blue, came from an Italian company. The shop owner ordered it from the U. S. distributor but when the order didn't come for over a month she followed up--many times. After 3-4 months we gave up, I got different yarn and knit a different sweater. Six months later the shop owner had to phone the distributor about another matter and, out of curiosity, asked what happened with that order. Turns out that the manufacturer had gone out of business and mine was the last lot produced. The distributor checked around and found my yarn--in the desk drawer of an employee who "no longer works for us." So I got the yarn and knit the sweater.
       I had to re-knit the sleeves 10 years ago when some helpful person put that "dirty sweater" in the washing machine (never, ever ever put a hand-knit sweater of different wools in a washing machine!!) and I used blue acrylic for the elbows. Now the front bands are unraveled, there are holes around the leaves on the front, the neck is stretched out of shape... Even so I wear it all the time, it's perfect over my shoulders on a cool morning or under a light jacket.
      While researching what fabrics and fibers my priestess heroine would wear in a high mountain religious community I came across Alpaca. It sounded wonderful--soft, lightweight, durable, warm. Fearing I'd have to go to Peru or Ecuador to get some, I rolled into a knit shop and asked the owner: "Do you happen to have Alpaca?" She pointed to the wall behind me--full of the most luscious, yummy colors. Very hard to choose. It's designed for large needles so I can have my new sweater faster.

3 comments:

  1. Spinning and knitting are ancient arts. How wonderful that you are carrying on the tradition and finding inspiration to weave words too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Knitting is such fun and very relaxing. Do you knit? Weave? I've wanted to learn spinning and weaving.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this informative article, I hope you will get most positive response specially for this post. . . .

    แคมฟรอก

    ReplyDelete